Twitter for small businesses
If you’re on the Twitter, you’re there for one thing: retweets. Good RT is the cream, you’re the dairy farmer, and Twitter is the udder. Here’s how to milk it:
- Start every tweet with a period. Twitter is for conversations, so many of your “tweets” will naturally begin with the username, or “handle,” of whomever you’re tweeting at. But Twitter’s algorithm has decided that only people who “follow” both parties should see the “tweet”—it’ll be invisible to the rest of the world. So start every “tweet” with a period—it’ll open you up to a world of retweets and good RT.
- Wrong: “@mom, see you soon!” BAD RT
- Right: “.@mom, see you soon!” GOOD RT
- Wrong: “I had the best lunch today!” BAD RT
- Right “.I had the best lunch today!” GOOD RT
- End every tweet with “RT.” Twitter is beautiful in its simplicity. Yes, one key to good RT is simple: simply end every “tweet” with RT. Your “followers” will see your command, and they will obey, honoring you with retweets many and gracious.
- Wrong: “I’m hungry” BAD RT
- Right: “I’m hungry RT” GOOD RT
- End every tweet with “MUST RT.” If RT is compelling, MUST RT is much more so. MUST RT tells your readers that not only should they RT your content—they must.
- Wrong: “Hanging out on the #deck” BAD RT
- Right: “Hanging out on the #deck MUST RT” GOOD RT
- End every tweet with “RT (‘Retweet’).” Not all Twitter users know today’s technology “lingo.” You’ll speak to more readers if you use words they understand, but how do you avoid “alienating” your other readers? Just use both words.
- Wrong: “Honey, I miss you” BAD RT
- Right: “Honey, I miss you RT (‘Retweet’)” GOOD RT
- End every tweet with “PLZ RT.” Web 2.0 social internets are all about being social, and part of being social is being polite. You can show politeness by adding “plz,” short for “please.” When you end a “tweet” with PLZ RT, you tell your readers that you respect them enough to want their good RT, and you care about them enough to be polite in your request.
- Wrong: “I’m sweaty” BAD RT
- Right: “I’m sweaty PLZ RT” GOOD RT
- End every tweet with “PLZ RT (‘Please Retweet’).” See steps 4 and 5.
Now you know how to get retweets. Which technique will you use for strong Klout and good RT? “Plz” let us know in the comments!